One of the primary functions of the Student Conduct Review System is to resolve complaints filed against students at UMBC. The Code of Student Conduct outlines the basic standards by which all students must abide while attending UMBC. The Code of Student Conduct is available on the Student Conduct and Community Standards website or through visiting the Student Conduct and Community Standards office in the Student Development and Success Center.
Any person may file a complaint of student misconduct with Student Conduct and Community Standards.
Persons alleging misconduct are expected to participate in the judicial process.
The purpose of the student conduct review system is to maintain the behavioral standards set by the campus community and to provide all students with an administrative adjudication process in which responsibility is decided in a fair and impartial manner.
Informal hearings and other conduct review proceedings at educational institutions do not follow the same procedures used in courtrooms. The University does not employ lawyers to “prosecute” students. University conduct review proceedings do not follow rules of evidence like a civil or criminal trial. Instead, charges are investigated and resolved in an atmosphere of candor, truthfulness, and civility.
Students accused of violating University rules and regulations are encouraged to discuss the allegations with family, legal counsel, and appropriate University personnel.
The steps outlined in this brochure highlight important parts of the conduct review process. Students are also encouraged to read the Code of Student Conduct in its entirety.
The Review System Strives…
- To regard each student as an individual, deserving individual attention, consideration, and respect.
- To consider the facts fully and carefully before resolving any case.
- To speak candidly and honestly to each student.
- To hold each student to a high standard of behavior to protect the campus community and to promote student moral development.
- To ensure high standards of courtesy and integrity, to prevent educational disruption, and to promote a productive learning environment.
- To recognize the reality of human fallibility, as well as the stresses associated with collegiate life, and to demonstrate compassion and understanding.
- To contribute to the educational mission of the University by designing policies, conducting programs, and offering instruction that contribute to the intellectual and moral development of the entire student body.
- To provide a fair and efficient process for establishing the factual record of an alleged violation of the behavioral standards of the Code of Student Conduct and adjudicate alleged violations.